Wednesday 3 June 2009

A Bus Tour Down Memory Lane

For logistical reasons I won’t bore you with, between jobs yesterday I needed to get from Anne Hathaway's Cottage at Shottery to Stratford-upon-Avon

For those of you that don't know the area, it's not far; indeed, it's a pleasant walk across fields in places. It was just too bloody hot to walk any more than necessary.

So, spotting one of the open top tour buses loading up, I blagged a lift.

I’d not been on one of those in Stratford for years and it was a slightly odd feeling. I cut my professional teeth on those things and – rather like the Birmingham Tour press call earlier in the year – it was a bit of a trip down memory lane.

Not that I could hear a commentary. It’s taped nowadays and people listen through headphones which I didn’t have. But for a few minutes it was 1992 again, I was a mere youth of 28, the Olympics were in Barcelona, John Major was Prime Minister and Thames Television was in its last days on air.

Slightly scary to be all nostalgic for something that feels like, er, yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment