Sunday 31 January 2010

To Cardiff and Back


I did a job in Cardiff today.

Wales' capital is a stately place, every inch a capital city and - despite all the bilingual signs - an entirely "British" city.

Its Civic Centre, a collection of grand public buildings makes it feel an even more important place than it is and is probably my favourite thing to show off. But as ever on an Ian walk there are lots of hidden places to show people. Today, I've had them gawping at the ground floor of a multi-storey car park, a set of wheelie bins, a subway with a tramp in it and the hotel where Gene Pitney died.

They weren't quite as much into the Doctor Who locations as some groups I've had and I was actually quite disturbed by how few people seemed to know what Aneurin Bevan was famous for; but then I suppose that's my job, isn't it?

They were such a pleasant group that we ended up having lunch together. bizarrely this was in a pub called the Owain Glyndwr.......named after a 15th century Welsh leader who, er, burned Cardiff to the ground. Interesting what you have to do these days to get a pub named after you, isn't it?!

Then I drove home listening to The Wurzels. Pretty good day! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment