Wednesday 20 January 2010

Kids in Museums

The other night I was listening to an edition of Front Row when a piece came on which had me in a complete rage.

An organisation called "Kids in Museums" was on complaining about museums not being sufficiently child-friendly. What? Virtually every museum I visit these days positively brims with things aimed at younger visitors (I dislike the term "kids"), sometimes to the detriment of other groups and indeed to the detriment of the story the place is out to tell. To me, they already *are* family friendly. (Indeed, I often buy any guide books intended for younger visitors as they often give the information in a form more readily digestible when you need, as a guide, to interpret things succinctly and quickly).

I put up with places sometimes heaving with families and school groups (eg the Natural History Museum, Ironbridge or the Black Country Living Museum) because I tell myself (a) that's good for them, their finances and their long-term future and (b) it's partly what they're for.

But Kids in Museums seem to have a manifesto that implies that younger visitors are somehow more important than others. I want younger visitors, I really do. Get them early I say. I grew up with such places and it shaped my life, education and career for the better. But younger visitors are just one group and their enjoyment shouldn't overshadow everyone else's. Several times I've been prevented from taking groups to attractions "because we usually have school groups in at that time" (even though we're booking first). On other occasions, things seem aimed only at children, a loss to those looking for something more.

If you read KiM's manifesto, among much sensible stuff, it contains some really quite ludicrous demands.

  • Having flexible family tickets ("Don’t dictate the size of a family. Families come in all shapes and sizes."). Great, let someone bring 8 children in as one family. There has to be some sort of definition. Why do they think they are more entitled to concessions?

  • Having "big open spaces for children to let off steam". Better to educate children that sometimes they can let off steam and sometimes they can't because they have to treat environments and other visitors with respect. Being quiet and well-behaved isn't somehow "restrictive"; it's a lesson for behaviour in life.

  • Asking "families to describe the best bit of their visit, either in words or pictures. Respect these responses and act on them. Invite them back." Why should this commendable aim be the preserve of families? Why not ask everyone about such things?

  • "Use positive remarks like, ‘Isn’t that a great painting! Let’s look at it together from further back.’". Patronising or what? Pass the sick bag.......

Now I don't want anyone interpreting what I've written here as being anti-child. As I've said, nothing is further from the truth. But this demand for something more than other people get is typical of many of today's parents, who want others to do their job for them. They are, folks, your children and looking after them, explaining and stimulating them and ensuring their good behaviour is your responsibility.

Kids in Museums? Twittering classes.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't agree more, Ian. Very often this sort of body is hellbent on dumbing down the experience for all. I won't mention your pet hate, but it is a prime example. God knows what they will do if the Staffordshire Hoard is secured for the Midlands - but I hate to think about it!

    ReplyDelete