Tuesday 19 January 2010

Cadbury's

So the news has broken this morning that Cadbury's board have apparently advised shareholders to accept Kraft's offer of 840p per share, which makes Cadbury's worth £11.5 billion.

Maybe I'd do the same if I was a shareholder. But you know what> Actually I don't think I would. I regret us selling everything off and whatever promises are made in the medium term, the company's presence at Bournville will change eventually, I'm sure.

Our city is littered with take-overs that were supposed to have no effect. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I give you Rover and LDV. Beyond I give you BSR in the Black Country and Terry's of York. And who bought the latter and moved production overseas? Oh yes, it was Kraft.

I don't think for a minute that Cadbury's will "close down" the Bournville works; but I suspect that things (ie jobs) will just "trickle away" over time.

We are sleepwalking into our own destruction I sometimes think.

Still, at least it'll be an excuse not to eat chocolate anymore!

No comments:

Post a Comment