Wednesday 23 September 2009

Working in the West 3: Wednesday

Today was my last day with the group and was just as enjoyable as the others.

We headed out first through the rather drizzly Northern edge of the Mendips for a quick photo stop at the "Rock of Ages" in Burrington Combe before stopping in Wells. To my surprise, most of the group followed me ("Go away, I'm not the Messiah! I'm a very naughty boy!") for a look at the Cathedral precincts, Vicars' Close and the Bishop's Palace. Then there was time for free time, so to speak. Luckily, there was a nice craft market on today, which people seemed to enjoy.

Then it was more of the Mendips, this time with a descent of Cheddar Gorge for a visit to the Cheddar Showcaves. Although the Caves themselves are as amazing as ever, I did think that the surroundings (shop, cafe, etc.) really are looking ab it tired, cheap even and could do with a bit of a polished make-over. Very friendly staff, though, which is always worth a mention.

Then we headed back to the hotel along one of my favourite roads, the one up through Rodney Stoke with some views of the Somerset Levels and distant Glastonbury Tor.

There, I took my leave of the group and threw myself on the mercy of the M5 home.

Although I've missed being at home (couldn't tour all the time, as I used to) they were a very pleasant group with a pretty well thought out itinerary and they've been good company. Wish all my jobs were like this!

Back to reality and a full day in Birmingham tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment