Monday 21 September 2009

Working in the West 1: Monday

I'm away on tour at the moment, writing this in my hotel room in Midsomer Norton. This is a former mining village in Somerset and absolutely nothing to do with John Nettles solving murders. It is, however, the birthplace of Anita Harris. Eat your heart out Stratford-upon-Avon!

They're a nice group and it's a good coach driver. The driver is significant, actually, as this job was supposed to be with my much-missed coach driver friend Grahame, who died very suddenly earlier this year. Grahame had actually suggested me as a guide to this group, making the job all the more poignant.

Anyway, we spent today sightseeing in Bristol. I love doing Bristol tours; they give me a real "lift" as the place is such a lovely mixture of things: good stories, some fabulous buildings, lots of history and some interesting contemporary things, too. Some people enjoy painting, some playing musical instruments and some (apparently) playing sport. I get that same sort of enjoyment from just showing places to people.

Tomorrow we're on something more of a tourist trail, going to Bath. I'll let you know how it goes.......

No comments:

Post a Comment