Friday 3 December 2010

Working From Home

I'm working from home today. And I when I say that, I really do mean work from home; I've a great pile of preparation to do.

It seems that in this age of electronic communications, for some jobs at least, this is now much easier. There's been a lot of coverage in the last year or so of what the media seem to call "shedworking", ie building an office in a shed at the bottom of the garden and working from there.

Well, we haven't run to that. We've acquired a summer house this year but it's emphatically not connected to anything. It's a refuge from all that.

No, for me working from home means a spare bedroom converted into an office. And that leads me to the subject of this Blog post:

In this weather, having an office just at the bottom of the garden is great in that you don't have to worry about roads, public transport, etc., in this sort of weather.

However, unless these "sheds" are extremely well insulated (!) I think I prefer my former-spare-bedroom-turned-office with a radiator on one wall, thank you very much!

2 comments:

  1. A good garden office from a reputable supplier should definitely be insulated (although some log cabin suppliers suggest that their timber is dense enough in itself). And with a small heater it's good for working in all year round.
    Alex (www.shedworking.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alex! :-))

    I'll stick to my spare room, though. Our summer house (which we're actually doing up as a beach hut, don't laugh!) is definitely a refuge from work. Handily, the cordless phone works down there but the WiFi doesn't!

    ReplyDelete