Tuesday 16 February 2010

Ian Jelf: Domestic God

It is a fact of life that I do not enjoy doing things I’m not very good at. Put me in front of an old building, a Roman ruin, a bus or the Sydney Opera House and I will happily keep an audience entertained for hours.

Put me in charge of putting a duvet back in its cover and I will still keep an audience entertained…….but for all the wrong reasons. And I will be Very Unhappy about it.

Louise is poorly at the moment (having caught the bug I had last week) so I’m being more than usually domestic. I have today been out with a shopping list, little of which actually tallied with what seems to exist on the shelves.

“No, not that one, the double chocolate ones we usually have”. Sigh.

I have tried to make the washing machine and tumble drier work.

“But why do we put it on ‘G’? What’s that setting mean?”

“Oh I don’t know, it just is!”

And now I've put two duvets back inside their covers in a series of moves which to the untrained eye would make it appear that I was playing a strip version of “Twister”.

Get well soon, Louise. I need you!

(But I know I’m better with canal architecture and Iron Age earthworks. I'll let you know about the pancakes.......)

No comments:

Post a Comment